Sunday, June 11, 2006

Piano pants


I can't believe it myself, we have pants. It's not a super tailored pair of pants, it doesn't have pockets, it doesn't have a zipper, or anything fancy, but it is a pair of pants none the less. I laid out a pair of comfy "lounge pants" that I paid 7 dollars for at the corner Rite Aide and used them as a guide to cut my own fabric from. I also turned them inside out to study how they were made. I cut my fabric on the fold so that I didn't have to stitch any seams down the outside of the legs. I selected red thread for an extra pop to go with the black and white fabric. I decided to start with the hem near the feet first, but without stitching them together into a complete circle. I then continued on to the inseam, I used a zig zag for the raw edges and stitched each inner side of the legs in one very long stitch! This also closed up the cuffs. I did this a second time further in, but used a straight stitch for stability. Then I stitched a tube at the waist leaving a two inch opening for the elastic which I pulled through and closed along the tube seam. I had done the inseam of the skirt differently and found that this order works much better. I thought I was done, I took two photos. I walked by the folded up pants, a couple times and thought it needed something else. I thought something red would be good to go with the thread. I found some red velvet ribbon but I was worried about it being washed. I washed the ribbon by itself and it held up so I attached them to the cuff of the pants. My husband wanted to play a song on my leg : )
P.S. There is a new animation over at my animation blog.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic! I must begin my search for piano fabric because I know a pianist those would be perfect for! I do think the red velvet was the perfect spice for them!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great! Great fabric find.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh thank you so much nikki!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you scribbles. I got the fabric a couple of years ago, from an online shop, but I can't remember which one! So sorry, I hope you find it! So glad you liked the red!

2:45 AM  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

well done. I just made my daughter 3/4 length trousers last week. Same sought of thing. However I still got stuck on the pattern!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you weirdbunny. I'm sure they must have been very cute!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kumi said...

Gee, what a cool pants you created!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you so much kumi! Good to hear!

9:54 PM  
Blogger iguru*vision said...

Fabulious for a Jazz Pianology 2006 !!!

I'll like to wear it and be a moon-river player.

have you saw the full moon these couple days from Seattle ?

10:19 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thanks fusionlin! Very nice words. Yes, it's been so lovely hasn't it!

12:25 AM  
Blogger lindiepindie said...

How funny that he wanted to play something on your legs. Those are cute pants, and I'm impressed you did it all without a pattern. I like black, white and red together - the ribbon was a nice touch.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

lindiepindie - yes it was funny to watch! I'm so glad you like the pants. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words.

4:53 PM  
Blogger nico said...

oh my gosh! thats so awsome... piano pants? man gina! lady youre on fire! hehe '-'/

9:49 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm only following your blaze my dear nico! So glad you like them : )

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice! i actually made a dress out of this fabric that i wore to go see jerry lee lewis in concert! it's a summer dress, but i've got to go get some more of the fabric because i need a winter dress to go see jerry lee this november! the dress was a hit all around...

9:43 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

That sounds terrific! Have a nice time at the next concert.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home