Friday, May 26, 2006

Pink Lady


This little lady is made from soft pink paisley and inner matching stripes. I cut her image out of a separate print cotton material and attached her using a decorative stitch. The inside top of the pocket also utilizes a decorative stitch albeit a different one then on the lady. The button is a semi see through rose. This was my first attempt at using the button and button hole feet on the sewing machine. I made a tester and the button hole came out fine. I switched feet for the actual button, I set the size for the holes in the button, but it seemed to move around a bit and I broke a needle as it hit the button! Next time I watched and moved very slowly, adjusting the position of the needle as I needed to, which was pretty much every stitch!. This worked so I was then ready to finish up. The only grey area for me was that in the manual it said pull the top thread down to tie in a knot with the bottom bobbin thread, but I could find a way for this to be possible with the fabric in between and there for in the way? So I tied off the best I could. Then I went on to do it for real on my pink lady. Now of course this button isn't flat enough to use in the button foot to size it, so I used a button of comparable size. This button also doesn't have holes in the center and due to it's bulkiness I also couldn't use the machine to attach it (wouldn't fit under the foot), so instead I stitched it on by hand. Have a great weekend everyone!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she looks awesome! I love the fabric and the Art Deco feel of the lady!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh thank you, mmm, art deco is yummy!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

so clever!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you tongue in cheek!

3:01 PM  
Blogger nico said...

gina i never thought of attaching a button with the machine. its such a great idea. its how i attach the goddie clips to a felt backing..
hey im not sure if its what you meant but to tie the top thread with the bottom thread, you pull the bottom thread from the back so you raise the stitch/loop, and pull the top thread thru so you can tie them together at the back?

i cant find your zipper post?

12:33 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hi nico! Yes my sewing machine instructions are sort of funny, what happens is when I am done with the machine, the top thread is on top of the button, that's fine I pull it through the button hole, but the bobbin thread is actually underneath the fabric so I can't do anything with it. I can tie it to itself so I did that. Same with the top. Anyway, your zipper post is up!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home